Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Rhythm

While running in the past, I have noticed something. I haven't gotten yet, but I remember what it was like years ago.

It's when I find my rhythm and I become a machine. Not the kind of machine that makes me able to run fast or long but things just click.

It's usually after at least 4 or 5 miles and it's when I'm feeling pretty tired. I'm just chugging along, feeling worn out and all of sudden it feels like I just float outside of myself and don't feel a thing.

It's like I become a train, my arms and legs just moving in perfect unison and I don't feel a thing. That's the machine.

Like I said before, I don't get really any faster, it just feels like I'm outside of myself and I am running in third person. Almost like a movie, and then my soundtrack is whatever I was just listening to on my iPod earlier.

I wonder if other people have this "machine" moment. I think everyone has a time when they are running that it all lines up and you just feel perfect.

For me, those times are rare. Not every run and certainly not at any specific time but I love it when it happens.

With me starting to run again, I'm looking for that moment, that rhythm. So far, my longest run has only been about 8 miles, and I didn't feel it then, though I thought I was going to die!

I might as well talk about my latest long run. So, I ran 8 miles. That's a big step for me because the last one I ran was 4 miles.

Both times had a few stops to walk and rest and stretch, but I'm sure I'll get into a non stop long run in no time.

No comments: